Saturday, April 02, 2005

Pope's Dying Brings to Mind Plight of Christ

An entire generation of young Catholics has lived under the Papacy of Pope John Paul II, never knowing another Holy Father, never witnessing the transition of rule over the Holy Roman Catholic Church from one Pontiff to the next. And now, after 26 1/2 years as the Successor of St. Peter, it appears that Christ is at last "opening his doors to Pope John Paul II," as Cardinal Camillo Ruini, the Vicar of Rome, worded it on Friday evening.

I am one of the many among this generation of young Catholics who has lived his entire life knowing no other Pope. Seeing the events of the last 24 hours unfold and the comments made by many of our visitors to this blog, I am awestruck by the overwhelming affection for this man Karol Jozef Wojtyla in what may be his final hours in this world.

While watching the television newscasts late into the night, the death of Jesus comes to my mind now more than ever before. Now I am witnessing for the first time in my life the man at the Head of our Church, whom we call the Vicar of Christ, follow Jesus into death. He dies as an example of suffering and faith.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As i meditated on the Sorrowful mysterious of the rosary, the image of the Pope kept flashing in my mind as i tried to picture Christ. The mystery of Christs suffering unfolds before us! Truly in weakness are we exalted...

Anonymous said...

Praise the Almighty for Carol Wojtyla,, Pope John Paul II. Though I was a teenager already when he became head of the catholic Church, I can relate with those who were born with John paul Ii being the pope, simply because I personally became a christian only shortly after he had come to my home country, Belgium, in the early 80's. When he came along, there was more than just a man passing by. This man is walking with G.od and G.od is with him. I love him, and also those who love him. Thank you for this blog.

Anonymous said...

Like my Grandfather ...

I was a High School freshman in Chicago when he was elected, and saw the Holy Father for the first time when he visited us in 1979. Since then I have been most fortunate to seen him eleven times, most intimately when he blessed my wife Mary and I on the fifth day of our marriage in 2001 at the conclusion of the Holy Year.

It has been oft noted that young people love the pope. I believe one reason is because they KNOW, beyond all doubt, that the pope loves them. This is one leason he leaves us. When we meet others, meaning EVERYONE, do they KNOW that we love them? Beyond all doubt? We can honor our Holy Father by doing our best to follow his Christ like example. I love you PAPA.

Anonymous said...

Pope John Paul II was indeed a Man for all times.A statesman,a spiritual leader,sportsman, artist,traveller and communicator, he was an extraordinary man. He did his utmost to follow in the footsteps of Jesus.He will be remembered in the annals of time.God bless you John Paul.