The Holy Father:
- Appointed Cardinal Angelo Sodano, titular of the suburbicarian church of Albano, as secretary of State.
- Confirmed "donec aliter provideatur" the cardinals and archbishops who head dicasteries of the Roman Curia, and the president of the Pontifical Commission for Vatican City State.
- Confirmed Archbishop Leonardo Sandri as substitute for General Affairs of the Secretariat of State.
- Confirmed Archbishop Giovanni Lajolo as secretary for Relations with States of the Secretariat of State.
- Confirmed the current secretaries of dicasteries of the Roman Curia for the current five-year period. -V.I.S.
Thus it seems Benedict XVI is ensuring a smooth transition by retaining those officials whom John Paul II appointed.